Sunday, June 12, 2011

Big improvement to comments system - now comments can have replies!

My Question on Support site for LampCMS project

This is a pretty big update to the comments system.
Here is the deal: Often a comment is a reply to another comment. It's not easy to keep track of these replies.
On most other site like StackOverflow for example, the best one can do is to include the @user in the beginning
of a comment to indicate that this is a reply.

But this only tells that it's a reply to a comment by @userA. It is not very helpful when userA made more than one comment. How do you know which one of these comments this reply is referring to?

I thought I can do better. Here is goes: Now every comment has a "reply" link. Want to reply to a comment - just use that magic link. No need to manually type @userA - the system will figure out that this is a reply to @userA and more importantly which one of @userA comments

Then when looking at comments all the replies will automatically include @user - and these are underscored with a dashed line.

Now the best part - when you mouse over these @user labels - the comment for which this is a reply will become highlighted - you in case instantly see the message for this this is a reply. You can even click on that @user label in which case BOTH - the original and this reply are highlighted. Clicking it again will toggle the highlighing on/off

And now I'm going to post a simple comment and a reply, and you are welcome to also post replies to comments and just test it out. If this works well, I'll push it to github soon.

I don't think you'll find this feature anywhere else because I thought of it myself. I think it's pretty useful addition.

Click here to post your reply


No comments:

Post a Comment