Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Code Editor is here

My Question on Support site for LampCMS project

OK, ready for this? I made some improvements to the RTEEditor. Resizing widget is gone but Link insertion is working much better and there is an Image insertion widget now.

I have also added a Code style highlighter to the editor. This is something I added to the YUI Editor myself. It is actually fairly complicated thing to add. It's a 3 part process: 1) adding the working drop down menu that would wrap the selected text in special tag that will later be used to format the code.
2) Some changes on the server to make sure it is parsed correctly by html parser
3) Adding couple of extra js files to page to do the actual code highlighting. I used an existing JS code highlighter code from http://www.dreamprojections.com/syntaxhighlighter/

Of cause I modified it to work the way I want it to.

And there is also a small step 4 - admin can enable this in !config.ini file by setting
ENABLE_CODE_EDITOR = true

It's false by default as for most non-programming sites this "Code style" tool will cause more confusion.


I think it beats code style editor/highlighter than on StackOverflow hands down. You can select the programming language, even CSS or HTML code as different programming codes are highlighted differently.

I'm sure StackOverflow is a great site, I use it all the time, that's where the crowd is. But they would be so much better if they use RTE from Lampcms instead of their Lame-o MarkDown editor.

Enjoy. And feel free to post some code just to try it out. It's OK.

My phpcode


if(2>1){
        run($nice);
} else {
        exit(1);
}



Click here to post your reply


No comments:

Post a Comment