Wednesday, March 21, 2012

My answer to "What was the motivation behind creating LampCMS?"

This is my answer to a Question on Support site for LampCMS project


OSQA is written in Python and uses MySQL. I am not all that good at Python.
But I am pretty good at php, have been using it for almost 14 years now.

I also wanted to go with NoSQL database so that a Q&A site can grow to almost unlimited size without slowing down much. I have been using MySQL for many years, in fact using it daily at my current job and I know that at certain point when database grows in size the performance take a hit. This usually happens very suddenly, not gradually and then it's a never-ending battle to optimize your database, constant tweaking configuration, etc.

I think MongoDB is pretty good for the Q&A site. Q&A sites don't have an overly complicated business logic, no need to complex relational joins in queries.

At the time I started this project there were no other php/mongodb based Q&A sites.



No comments:

Post a Comment