Sunday, August 14, 2011

My answer to "Do you recommend any specific host?"

This is my answer to a Question on Support site for LampCMS project


I don't recommend any hosts. That's because I don't know any hosts other then my current host.

Basically it does not matter what host it is. The program does not care about it. It just needs php 5.3+ and MongoDB and optionally MySQL.

I always recommend to get a dedicated server where you have full control of it and can install MongoDB, php and php mongodb extension yourself. It's does not matter what host. I am looking for a new host myself. I am looking for an inexpensive server with 2 hard drives and 8 Gigs of ram and CentOS as operating system. That's because I have experience with CentOS. CPU speed is not very important to me.Any Linux flavor is fine, it runs on Windows too. I actually developing this program on Windows 7 at home.

One thing is important - the operating system must be 64 bit so that you can use 64-bit MongoDB version. 32-bit MongoDB has severe limitations as far as maximum size of repository.

You don't need 8Gigs normally, I just expect to host several instances of this program on it, different Q&A sites.



No comments:

Post a Comment